There are a lot of things I like about theChristina Aguilera interview in the August issue of Glamour (on newsstands July 8th)*. In it, the singer comes across as someone you might want to hang out with, especially if you were a new mom and just really in love with your husband and kid. And I feel like—unlike a lot of spoiled, annoying stars—Aguilera has one of those hard-working, rags to riches stories that makes her success seem especially sweet. Read the interview’s highlights. You’ll like her too.
1. As a new mother to 6 month-old Max, Aguilera talks about getting back into pre-baby shape and actually manages to sound honest and cool about it. She exercises for 90 minutes a day, five days a week, butkind of begrudgingly:
“I hate working out…I have to mentally push myself through it. I get very whiny, saying things like ‘I can’t do it!’ I can’t deal with having someone barking at me.”
2. She did enjoy some curves that came with motherhood:
“I was OK with the booty and the boobs!”
3. She was once kind of wild and self-destructive— and she’s super happy she never got caught on camera partying:
“[I couldn't get away with that now]. It wasn’t until the wave of reality TV that our culture’s obsession with celebrity got so crazy. I think a lot of people thrive on that stuff.”
4. On her son Max influencing her upcoming album:
“My little boy breathes new life into me.”
5. Being a mom has made her more laid back (Aguilera showed up to the interview with a messy ponytail and undone nails):
“My mom was so giving that she almost forgot about herself many times over. So I’m careful to make time for myself…[but] before I became a mom, if I had an interview lined up, my nails would’ve been done.”
6. But she still makes time for her marriage:
“We make sure we have Mommy and Daddy nights out. Once we know [our son] is in good hands, we go out and have a few drinks. Then we’ll come home, dim the lights and do our thing.”
You can read the whole story by clicking HERE.
*Also, in case you’re confused, as I was, the picture is of Christina and her dog Stinky, whom she calls “one of my babies.” I will not allow this to make me like her less.